Thursday, October 23, 2008

Moms of Daughters

I have decided to read a book that peeked my interest early this summer but wasn't due to release until November. YIPEE...November is upon us and the book will soon be in my hands. The book titled...5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter by Vicki Courtney. I landed on Vicki Courtney after Ryan introduced me to her website in which she gives up to date happenings in the teen world mostly on girls but does talk about boys too. Her experience and knowledge of the tween and teen years are incredible. The moment I read the first entry on her website, I was hooked. I follow her constantly and now with the release of her new book on daughters and conversations you must have, it captured my attention quickly. Its hard for me to believe that one of my own daughters is not that far away from being in the tween years as she turns 7 this December. With 2 other girls right behind her, I wanted to read this book and take time to open this book and find out just what I can do as my girls go from cradle to college. Vicki Courtney has also launched a blog community that you can interact with her and leave your thoughts, ideas, struggles, etc on topics that are seriously struggles for our girls in this culture. If you don't read the book, hop on over to Vicki's website and read all her virtue alerts. She's very insightful and has tons of experience on the youth culture today but in a godly way.
Have fun...www.virtuealert.com
So, please let me know if you decide to join in the journey and read this book and follow Vicki's blog community. It will be fun.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

How far have you gotten in the book? Are you doing the study or just reading? I'm interested in reading it as well...I'll most likely get it this weekend. I officially have a "Tween"...scary! And I definitely want to be equippped. The culture is so different from when we were growing up. At least at this age. I don't remember dealing with some of the topics that Samantha brings up until much later. That's what mass media does for ya! But even my monitoring her programs won't help entirely, because some things she just hears from other kids at school who aren't monitored at home. So I'll let you know when I get the book. I've been reading her blog for a while...and while I don't agree with her on everything (she's a little more conservative than me)...She does keep you current on the issues!