Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Captivated by their stories

As the 10 anniversary of 9/11 approaches, I have been glued to the stories being shared on TV and on the web. I love stories....and don't we all have a story to tell....don't we all come together during a suffering, or catastrophic event to be a helping hand?! Because even with one hand of help, there is hope. You are not alone.
Our stories start weaving together.
September 11, 2001~ I was 5 1/2 months pregnant with Addie, teaching at ST. John's Episcopal School in Abilene. We were all in chapel that morning when our business lady who was in front of me, turned around and told me the twin towers in NYC had been hit by a plane. I remember when my school kids went to an enrichment, I was standing in the library with many other teachers watching this tragedy unfold on TV and we were all crying. I couldn't believe what I was watching...I remember thinking, I'm scared to now bring a little girl into this world!
As I type this, I can still see everything vividly in my mind.
So now, 10 years removed, I am still captivated by stories, heroic ones, sad ones, the rebuilding of the memorial, and how people have changed or have been moved to start a cause because of their loss.
A story shared on the Today show was on a husband who lost his wife in the World Trade Center leaving him with a 2 year old girl and newborn down syndrome little boy. Their story was beautiful of how this single dad has pressed forward raising these kids. The 12 year old girl was asked, "what would you say to your mom", she replied and crying "I would ask her, what are we going to do today together?" She longed just for the presence of her mom and a daily, simple life with her mom.
It was so touching.
Or this story...please take time to watch this video, it is incredible. I saw in early Saturday morning on ESPN, Ryan and I both were crying on the couch together. It truly is another wonderful story!!!!
May we never forget that day when so many of them face it every single day!


No comments: