Sunday, January 17, 2010

Remembering Haiti

I don't want to forget the devastation and images I have seen from the earthquake that struck Haiti! I pray that these people's needs would not be forgotten and that we would be faithful to praying for this nation. We have a friend who is a doctor and he flew out at 5:30 am today to go and help the people of Haiti. He is a orthopedic surgeon so he knows his hands will be able to serve the hurting. I'll be praying for him and so many other volunteers, military, and non-profit organizations. I can't get the image out of my mind that was aired on Friday on the Today show. It was Ann Curry there in Haiti walking amongst the hurting, showing the tents lined up outside in fear of after shocks and the hospital already overflowing. She talked with a 5 year old boy, who smiled, who grabbed her arm, whose leg was broken and waiting for help. So, I pray that this boy I saw would meet men like Dr. Dave Vanderwiede and receive the love and care, and his broken leg would be healed in a cast.
All these things make me recall a favorite song to my mind. "How Beautiful"
It says, "how beautiful when humble hearts give, the fruit of pure lives, so that others may live..."
May we all continue to give and pray for the Haitian people.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Love that song... praying for Haiti, too!

Steph T. said...

That song has always made me cry! I hear it a lot in weddings too. I would to go down there and help them. We are taking up an offering next SUnday to sent to our missionary down there. Thanks for playing that song! WE will be praying for your Dr. that went down there.