Monday, August 9, 2010

Yesterday Had Me in Tears

I was a little emotional and my first thought was well its not that time of the month but really I finally figured out that something I had seen on the news before church had gotten to me more than I thought!
I had my warm cup of coffee in hand, Today Show on for some news and they told a headline story that had my stomach in knots. Some of you might have heard or even saw on the internet that 10 Humanitarian aids had been killed in Afghanistan (6 of which were Americans). The main leader was passionate about the Afghan people because he had lived there 30 years and had all 3 of his kids there. He was an optometrist now in upstate New York and he loved the Afghan people so he wanted to take a trip to bring medical aid. They had been over there a month trekked across rugged, dangerous terrain to help Afghan people in remote areas receive proper medical aid. On the way back, they were ambushed by Taliban who lined them up and shot them 1 by 1 execution style. They only saved one Afghan aid worker because he could site the Koran.
I was in shock for many reasons but this really, really bothered me...deeply. Here were Americans, Britains, and even local Afghan people who used their gifts and talents to go, go into Afghanistan and help people, love on them, and give them medical attention. These humanitarian workers had high regards to human life but they were killed by the Taliban who are people with NO regard to human life! I sat there thinking...this is someones dad,husband, she has a family, etc etc. I was weepy ALL morning! I couldn't help but think of so many of our military families, military men and women that go into these rough, rugged, very dangerous terrain for MY freedom, for their own families freedom, for our country! So, I pull myself together to go to church and wouldn't you know...the message was on injustice and instead of suffering through it, how we can endure through it! I was teary eyed in the message being constantly reminded of what I had heard and seen.
Today, I can't stop thinking of them and it has my mind thinking of so many things!
(especially friends who leave tonight to start a new journey 3-5 yrs in Saudi Arabia)
I don't have a house full of boys, God gave me 3 girls. I do know plenty of people in the church, family, and even friends that have boys and that someday one might choose to serve our country in whatever capacity. Some of them might be firefighters, police officers, business executives, deep sea drillers, missionaries etc. So whatever line these boys choose, one day my girls will be married to a boy (i will talk to some of my friends about arranged marriages ;) lol) and I couldn't help but think of the song by Mark Shultz Letters of War. One of the main lines says,
"Your Good & Your Brave,
What a father that you will be someday,
Make it home & Make it safe,
And she wrote every night as she prayed.."

So, I truly believe that no matter what God sets our own feet to do, our kids, their future spouses, my family, my friends.. Be brave and Be safe, and pray, pray, pray for one another.
Love to You my friends! :)

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Wow! What a powerful song! Had me in tears! Thanks for sharing! We definately need to keep praying!