Saturday, January 10, 2009

Buster and Me

The famous movie Marley and Me has been number one for the past 2 weeks. As I have a small desire to see the movie, my animal lover heart and loss of my 15 year cattle dog just doesn't want to experience the story line quite yet. Well, due to the movie and a friends blog about her sweet lab, I felt it was time to post something on my sweet cattle dog, Buster. (Hop on over to cruson crew-look at my blog roll and read an amazing life experience with her dog. )

OK, so when I started this blog I had just lost Buster about 6 months prior so I could never really bring myself to write a blog about him. He was my sweet cattle dog of 15 years and I missed him dearly! 15 years, my friends! I had experienced much life with him that it was just not the same to have him not here. Yes, I already made my trip to the SPCA and rescued another male, cattle dog in honor of Buster but still, it was different.

You see, Buster entered my life my junior year in high school when I was working at a country club at the pool. He and his sister came to the club and were babies, thirsty, hungry, and burnt paws as it was over 100 degrees that summer-West Texas. I, the animal lover, took the male cattle dog and my best friend took the girl. So, our story begins. :)
Buster became the 70 lb brown and white cattle dog that stole our hearts and soon became nicked name Buster Brown. Boy did he love his walks and often would pull and lean to one side of the street to NOT have to make his final lap of walking. During college years, he was the one who kept mom and dad company until the day arrived that I was married and the parents were moving off. I remember how I came home to help mom and dad move and pick up Buster as he would start his next 10 years of life with me and Ryan.
That dog experienced 4 homes and an apartment, 3 baby girls entering into the family, walks, car rides, playing in the snow, jumping into marinas swimming as fast as he could do catch ducks. He was such a fun, loving, playful, sweet, sweet dog that loved kids, flat footballs, and dirt.
So, as the new movie Marley and Me highlights a family dog that experiences so much life, love, and companionship, its hard for me to bring myself to read the book yet alone go see the movie. My sweet Buster has been gone a little over a year and I still think of him and miss him. He was my Marley! So, here is to you my Buster Brown, I still miss you and I am grateful for the adventure you brought to my life.

(These pictures were taken in August just before he passed away in Sept.)

how happy he was to be with his girls :)

3 comments:

Erin said...

That's so sweet Kara! Losing pets is so hard. I'm not sure I could see that movie either.

It's been three years since we put Bubba down, and it's almost time for us to put Hoss down - so sad.

I'm glad you posted about your sweet friend Buster!

Erin said...

And seriously, I just read your friend's blog post and I'm sitting here trying not to sob!

Cruson Crew said...

I love Buster Brown and never even met the sweet fella!! Loved reading his story and the pictures..oooooo..got me!! I'm teary--phooey!! Thanks Kara!!