Thursday, July 8, 2010

My girl's ages and making a wave...

A house of all girls brings barbies, pink, and all things sweet....a yea right! LOL! I am seriously having to constantly think, be on my toes, and really filter what messages are being sent to my girls. One thing we love to do together is watch movies as a family (thanks to Redbox and Blockbuster Express)and the 1st showing at a theatre (only $5), it makes for a very reasonable treat. Its become very difficult these days with 2 girls turning ages 9 and 7 soon and what we deam appropriate for watching. Its kinda this in between age and it shouldn't be. I feel the pressures of school and the fast pace of society seem to make my girls grow up quicker and want to "get big." Therefore, the barbies and baby dolls are losing the battle and FAST! Also, we have cable which brings Disney right into the living room and right into my girl's eyes and hearts. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a post to bash Disney or what they produce for this generation, it's just even though it is the Disney Channel made for the girls, I still need to filter how much they see and hear. I have been convicted of this for a while now because so many of the shows are reality type that promote older relationships. I sure do miss the old cartoons like Flinstones, Fragle Rock, Jetsons, and Smurfs...ahhh some oldies but goodies, huh?! :)
I do like many things that Disney does put out and promote for example, documentaries on Earth and protecting it. This is one thing we have done as a family and they are really neat! Each Earth Day, Disney puts out a documentary on the Earth, Ocean, and this next year will be on animals in Africa, which reveals how important it is to take care and nurture this Earth and its animals. They are wonderful! They promote kids to volunteer, recycle, get out and make a difference and I couldn't agree more. This past Earth Day, we went to see Oceans and it didn't disappoint but within weeks the BP disaster hit, and boy did it hit way close to home!! :( Makes my heart break as I've seen images that literally make me sick to my stomach. Well, Addie's heart has grown toward sensitivity to animals just like mine, so I have decided that we have to put our love for animals into action and start volunteering...be proactive, and make a wave! It might start out little but I hope my girls have a heart and passion outside of themselves for people, animals, and this earth! Here's a video from Oceans... we all love this song! :) Enjoy!

1 comment:

Steph T. said...

You are so right...it's so hard to find a balance on shows & movies and what to let into their hearts. I found myself in that middle ground and many other moms let their girls watch stuff I wouldn't dream of letting mine watch!!
You are a great mom!!