Monday, January 31, 2011

The First of Many

Over the weekend, Addie and Avery (my 7 and 9 yr old), spent the night away from home at a friend's house. It was weird to have them BOTH gone. They stayed together (double sleepover) at their friends house so they were with each other. Addie has stayed away from home but Avery hasn't. Avery has only been left with my sister or my mom and dad so it was REALLY weird for her to be away from home. I think I found a lot of comfort in knowing she was with Addie. Addie is like a little momma so I knew big sister would be there for her.
So, I know this is my future! My girls sleeping away from home and sleepover parties at our own home are quickly approaching but it does seem weird. At times, I look at the girls and think they are still little and that I have to do EVERYTHING for them...AND then, I look at them again and realize, my sweet peas or growing up and becoming more and more independent. It is fun, it is nice, it is a new season, it does allow more freedom, new family adventures, etc etc.
I want to be a mom that doesn't hold "tight fists" to my girls and start letting my girls expand those wings a little bit. I want to be a mom who welcomes kids into my home for sleepover and fun times. It's here, it's upon me and as weird as it feels I embrace it with confidence and use it wisely.
Two things this new season has allowed for me personally, is to pray more and invite these non-churched friends of Addie and Avery to our church. As, I climbed into bed on Saturday night, I prayed for Addie and Avery, their protection and friendships. When I picked the girls up Sunday morning and had 5 girls loaded in the van, I smiled. I thought to myself...this is the first of many! This is what friendships are becoming for my girls~sleepovers, late nights, eating pizza and drinking dr pepper, funny stories to me in the van, and most importantly having my girls and their non-churched friends going to church!
It was very good and I hope the first of many, many more! :)

2 comments:

Erin said...

This is really encouraging to me as I look into a our future with the kids getting older. We're still a little ways away from sleepovers, I think, but I struggle with the idea of them being with non-churched friends. I pray that I won't let my fears prevent them from being little missionaries to those around them!

Steph T. said...

I have so been where u are right now! I love when my girls have their friends over & having conversations with them. So thankful God gave me 2 girls. So blessed!!